Avoid Scams That Exploit Your Generosity
The busy holiday season runs directly into end-of-year financial planning, which is when many people choose to make financial donations to non-profit agencies. We at LegalShield want your identity and finances to be safe while sharing with others. Here, you'll find helpful guidelines issued by the Federal Bureau of Investigation to help charitable people avoid charity themed scams.
- Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) incoming emails, including clicking links contained within those messages.
- To ensure contributions are received and used for intended purposes, make contributions directly to known organizations rather than relying on others to make the donation for you.
- Beware of organizations with copycat names similar to but not exactly the same as those of reputable charities.
- Verify the legitimacy of non-profit organizations by utilizing various internet-based resources that may assist in confirming the group’s existence and its nonprofit status. Some include:http://give.org / http://www.charitynavigator.org / http://www.guidestar.org/
- Do not be pressured into making contributions, as reputable charities do not use such tactics.
- Do not give your personal or financial information to an individual who solicits contributions. Doing so may make you vulnerable to identity theft. Use secure payment options.
- Avoid cash donations if possible. Pay by debit or credit card, or write a check directly to the charity.
LegalShield provides access to legal services offered by a network of provider law firms to LegalShield Members through member-based participation. Neither LegalShield nor its officers, employees or sales associates directly or indirectly provide legal services, representation or advice. See a plan contract at www.legalshield.com for specific state of residence for complete terms, coverage, amounts, and conditions. This is not intended to be legal or medical advice. Please contact a medical professional for medical advice or assistance and an attorney for legal advice or assistance.
Start a LegalShield plan to get the best of legal protection.
Talk to an independent associate in your area who can walk you through all the plan options