It’s Make-a-Will Month: Get Started Now
August is Make-a-Will Month and a perfect opportunity to complete your will. One of the greatest benefits of your LegalShield policy is the will package. The process starts with completing the LegalShield will questionnaire, which is available via the LegalShield app (download for Apple or Android devices). You may also obtain a will questionnaire by calling LegalShield or your provider law firm. Your provider law firm information can be located on your LegalShield mobile app or through the “Ask Erin” feature on www.legalshield.com. The following tips will help you begin your will questionnaire but if you have any legal questions contact your provider law firm and speak with an attorney.
- Answer every question listed. If the question does not apply to you, mark it as N/A (not applicable). This will indicate to the attorney that you read and acknowledged the question.
- If you have a property settlement agreement from a previous marriage, please send a duplicate copy of the agreement to your provider firm with your completed will questionnaire. Providing the attorney with a copy of the settlement agreement will help them draft a will that meets your needs.
- Before naming a guardian and an alternate guardian talk to them and make sure they are willing to serve. It is important that anyone you select be willing and able to accept the responsibility.
- Your trustee does not need to be the same individual as your guardian. The trustee manages the property. Make sure the individual you select understands your wishes and agrees to serve. If you have substantial assets you may wish to name a corporate trustee, such as a bank or trust company. A corporate trustee is paid for their service so it is important to understand the fees and regulations before selecting a company.
- Indicate how you would like your assets to pass upon your death. The questionnaire offers standard options for married and unmarried individuals. You will also have an option to write out your wishes, if neither of those options meet your needs. If you need more space to complete this or any other question, submit the additional information to your provider firm via email, fax or mail.
- You do not need to list specific account numbers or your social security number on the will questionnaire. The amounts requested in section 20 may be reasonable estimates. If these amounts change drastically, contact your provider law firm and speak with an attorney.
- Do not hesitate to ask questions. If you have questions about a specific portion of the questionnaire or general estate planning questions, it is important that you speak with an attorney. If you have any questions or need any additional clarification, call your LegalShield provider law firm today.
LegalShield provides access to legal services offered by a network of provider law firms to LegalShield Members through member-based participation. Neither LegalShield nor its officers, employees or sales associates directly or indirectly provide legal services, representation or advice. See a plan contract at www.legalshield.com for specific state of residence for complete terms, coverage, amounts, and conditions. This is not intended to be legal or medical advice. Please contact a medical professional for medical advice or assistance and an attorney for legal advice or assistance.
Learn How a LegalShield Provider Attorney Can Help You Prepare a Will