Start 2017 With These Money Saving Tips
Kick off the new year by taking charge of your finances. You can start by reviewing your credit report and beginning the tax preparation process. Being proactive is the best way to stay ahead of challenges and reach your financial goals. The following tips are designed to help you survey where you are, identify problems and with the help of your LegalShield provider law firm, resolve legal issues. If you need assistance call your provider law firm and speak with an attorney.
- Review Your Credit Report – The best way to monitor your financial history and ensure the accuracy of your credit score is by reviewing your credit reports each year. In the United States, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires that the three consumer credit reporting agencies—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion—provide you with a free copy of their report once every 12 months. You may order your free annual credit report online at annualcreditreport.com or by calling 1-877-322-8228. Canadians can learn how to obtain their reports by clicking here. If you need assistance correcting inaccurate information on your report, call your LegalShield provider law firm today.
- Check Your Mail – Monitor your bills and any collection notices carefully. Ignoring collection notices will only lead to headaches, increased fees and potential legal action including wage garnishment. Even if you cannot afford to pay a bill in full, working out a reasonable payment plan with the lender or collection agency may buy you time and save you money in the long run. If you need assistance working out a payment plan or disputing an inaccurate bill, call your LegalShield provider law firm and speak with an attorney.
- Review Your Insurance Coverage – You need to periodically review your policies to make sure they cover the essential investments in your property, changes in your life and recent purchases. Make sure you are getting the best rates but at the same time beware of discount policies that do not provide adequate coverage. If you need help deciphering the terms and conditions of a policy, call your LegalShield provider law firm for assistance.
- Start Preparing Your Taxes – Do not wait until the last minute to prepare your tax return. In the rush to complete returns last minute, many filers omit deductions or make critical errors. Taking your time and starting early will make the process less stressful. Organize your paperwork and carefully review your return to ensure your filing is accurate.
- Set Goals for the Year – Do you want to save for a new vehicle or a vacation? Is there a credit card you want to pay off? Set goals for year and calculate what it will take to meet your goals. If you are married make sure you discuss your plans and goals with your spouse. To ensure success, it is critical that you are both on the same page.