LegalShield Offers Renters Affordable Legal Support at Every Stage of the Rental Process
Whether you're in a dispute with your landlord, about to sign a lease or looking to move out of your rented home or apartment, LegalShield's flexible legal plan benefits can help you solve and prevent problems with your landlord, at a price that won't break the bank.
Preserve Your Rights While Renting
Whether it's an issue related to signing your lease, living in a rental or terminating a lease agreement, an experienced lawyer can provide invaluable legal protection. Here are just a few of the common issues that our experienced provider attorneys handle:
- Is the lease agreement fair?
- Do you understand the terms and conditions?
- Is the landlord trying to take advantage of you?
As a LegalShield member, your attorney can review a lease and give you the advice you need to sign with confidence.
- Has your landlord violated the lease?
- Did your landlord fail to make necessary repairs?
- Are you having a dispute over subletting?
Your attorney can contact your landlord to resolve disputes on your behalf.
- Are you having an issue renewing your lease?
- Do you need to terminate your lease early?
- Is your landlord refusing to return your entire security deposit?
Your attorney can work to resolve end of lease issues that could arise with your landlord.
Understand Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Renter.
Did you know?
- Many common lease terms, including the amount of rent, can be negotiated. For example, you can agree to maintain part of the property in exchange for a reduction in rent.
- If a landlord refuses to rent to you based on sex, religion, race, etc., they can be fined up to $19,787 under the Fair Housing Act and the act requires them to provide certain accommodations to access and use the property if you’re disabled.
- State and local laws often limit the security deposit a landlord can charge, and other key terms of a lease.
An attorney familiar with the laws in your state can help find unlawful terms in your lease. Understating what your landlord can and cannot do under the law is key to exercising your rights and protecting yourself.
A LegalShield plan lets you upload legal documents, such as a lease, right in our app. An attorney familiar with leasing laws in your state will review and follow up with advice within 3 business days.
How to Protect Your Rights While Renting
Select a topic to learn more:
Seek legal advice to manage common renter challenges.
Once you’re living in a rental unit, there are a variety of legal issues that can pop up along the way. An attorney can be a big help with common challenges such as:
- Dealing with a landlord who has failed to make necessary repairs to take action.
- Negotiating a sublease or pet exception when it’s prohibited by the lease you signed.
- Settling a financial dispute if a roommate doesn't pay and the landlord is seeking payment.
- Fighting an unlawful eviction.
- Ending your lease early without incurring financial penalties.
If you're unsure of your rights or how to proceed, speaking to an attorney can provide clarity and peace of mind.
Legal Resources for Tenants
Select a topic to learn more:
End your lease without causing unnecessary legal problems.
When your lease is coming to an end or you want to get out of a lease early, a variety of legal questions and complications can arise.
Do you have questions about any of these scenarios?
- How long does my landlord have to return my security deposit?
- How can I get my deposit funds back if my landlord refuses?
- Does my landlord have to renew my lease if I request it?
- What type of property damage allows my landlord to use my security deposit?
- Is there a way to end my lease early without paying penalties?
Whether your lease is expiring soon or you want to get out early, having an attorney review your lease document will help you understand your obligations, and what options are available to you.
Once you've joined LegalShield, you can upload your lease for review or call your provider law firm right in our app.
Resources to Make Ending a Lease Easy
There are lots of moving parts at the end of a lease and you’d be well served by speaking with an attorney to help you navigate your options and prevent unnecessary financial damage. In the meantime, check out these helpful articles, checklists and templates.
How It Works
Get support in three easy steps. It’s that simple.
Sign up for LegalShield, and then head to accounts.legalshield.com to set up your account.
Download our app, it's like having an attorney in your pocket. Our customer service agents are available 24/7 to help guide you.
From the app you can choose to call your law firm, submit a traffic ticket, start your Will or other documents, request emergency legal help, and more. It’s that easy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Instead of paying an attorney by the hour, you pay a small monthly fee (starting at $24.95) and have access to an independent attorney that will provide a huge variety of legal services without a huge legal bill. Services like consultation with an attorney, document review, drafting of debt collection letters and defense at civil trials are included as standard benefits. Using the plan just once can save you literally thousands of dollars. Watch the video on our home page for more information.
Using the plan is as simple as signing up and contacting our team. Once you’re a member, customer support will connect you with an independent attorney in your area who specializes in the specific legal issue with which you need help. Also, you can download our super simple app to quickly access your legal benefits and member perks anytime.
You can use your plan as soon as your membership application is reviewed and your account is set up. The review process takes 12 - 24 hours (or less) from the moment you purchase your plan (on regular business days). Once accepted, you can be in contact with an attorney in 4 hours or less and begin to use the plan benefits and member perks outlined in the membership agreement right away.
The average attorney in the US charges between $150 - $400 per hour. If you use your membership for even just a few hours a year you could easily save over $1000. If you have a bunch of small legal issues or one rather complicated issue, you can easily save multiple thousands of dollars over hiring an attorney directly. Not to mention the stress you’ll save by having an attorney on call instead of trying to handle legal issues yourself. Also, the attorneys in our network often help our members recover thousands of dollars of damages or avoid thousands of dollars in fees over what they would have experienced had they tried to resolve the legal issue themselves. Obviously every member and usage situation is different, but when used correctly, your membership can easily save significant amounts of money. Not to mention savings from our member perks.