Yes, You Can Change Your Last Name Without Getting Married

Family Law - August 12, 2022
Mother holding her child as she looks at mobile phone and smiles.

“What’s in a name?” The answer is: a lot! Our names are a major part of our identities and follow us wherever we go.

Reasons for a name change other than marriage

The reality is, that you may want to change your given name for a variety of non-marriage-related reasons including, for example, the following 3 reasons:

1. Change name after divorce

If you’re divorcing someone and wish to change your name, the simplest way to go about changing your name is by restoring your former name during the divorce action by asking the judge to issue an order.

2. Change name after gender change

When someone is transgender, they likely no longer feel as connected to their birth name. For this reason, many transgender people want to legally change their name to something more masculine or feminine. If so, they need to petition the court.

3. I don’t like my birth name

Similar to changing your name after a gender change, you may not feel as connected to your birth name for reasons that have nothing to do with gender identity. If so, you can simply petition the court, then update all of your relevant paperwork and IDs.

How much does it cost?

Usually, you’re required to pay filing and court fees and whatever it costs to get new identification, like an updated driver’s license or health care card. Note that it doesn’t cost anything to update your Social Security card. Your revised IDs allow you to revise your voter registration, bank accounts, medical records and anything else that requires your legal name.

Can I change my last name without getting married?

Can you change your last name without getting married? As outlined above, definitely yes! The most common reason you’re not legally allowed to change your name is if it’s to defraud someone.

It’s important that you consult with a lawyer before starting the name change process. The easiest, most cost-effective way to do so is with LegalShield, which offers expert lawyers in your area starting at $1 a day for a membership.

LegalShield can help

By purchasing a LegalShield legal plan, a LegalShield provider lawyer can help you with an uncontested name change. Once you’ve signed up and made a request for a consultation, a provider lawyer will contact you within a few hours. After a discussion about your needs, your provider lawyer will talk to you about the process according to the laws in your state. They’ll draw up the paperwork and ensure that it gets filed properly. LegalShield is here to give you the legal help that you need, so reach out today. We’d love to hear from you.

For additional information on legally changing your name, see:


Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. (“PPLSI”) provides access to legal services offered by a network of provider law firms to PPLSI members through membership-based participation. Neither PPLSI nor its officers, employees or sales associates directly or indirectly provide legal services, representation, or advice. The information available in this blog is meant to provide general information and is not intended to provide legal advice, render an opinion, or provide any specific recommendations. The blog post is not a substitute for competent legal counsel from a licensed professional lawyer in the state or province where your legal issues exist, and the reader is strongly encouraged to seek legal counsel for your specific legal matter. Information contained in the blog may be provided by authors who could be a third-party paid contributor. All information by authors is accepted in good faith, however, PPLSI makes no representation or warranty of any kind, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, validity, reliability, availability, or completeness of such information.