Avoid the Pain of Probate
If you die without a will, your assets will have to go through the probate process before being distributed to your family. That could mean years of delays and substantial taxes and fees.
If your will wasn't drafted properly or is out of date, that could lead to similar probate nightmares.
Starting at $24.95 per month, a LegalShield Plan gets you a will with annual updates included at no additional charge.
Having a will does not avoid probate. But, a well-drafted Will can make it go faster.
If you die without a will, most, if not all, of your assets will have to go through the probate process before it can be distributed to your family. Even if you have a will, if it’s not been drafted properly and paired with other estate planning essentials like a trust, you may cause your family to spend a significant amount of time and money they otherwise could have avoided.
Using clear, unambiguous language and following the law to the letter is critical. Because laws vary from state to state, it's also important the attorney who prepares your will is familiar with the laws and practices of your state. Having an attorney create your will ensures it’s done correctly and that your family gets the money saving benefits of proper estate planning.
Trusts are a powerful tool to avoid probate and available for estates of any size. A trust can be designed with many goals in mind, including to help you:
- Manage Estate Tax
- Designate Heirs
- Care for Children with Special Needs
- Care for Minor Children
- Give to Charity
An attorney can create the right trust for your specific situation so there are no costly surprises for your family after you pass.
A Will communicates your wishes for your estate — your financial and physical assets. More crucially, questions of guardianship of children and even pets will be left to the courts if you die without a Will.
If you die without a Will or any estate plan, your family may be left to fight it out. Adding a difficult and costly Probate process to that situation can only make matters worse.
A Legal Plan is the Easy, Affordable Solution
Starting at just $24.95 per month, a Legal Plan from LegalShield gets you access to an entire law firm in your state.
It’s the simple, stress-free way to cross this critical item off your task list.
- Advice & Consultation: Have questions? A legal plan lets you speak to an experienced estate planning attorney about an unlimited number of personal legal issues. If they're not available at the time, your provider attorney will always call you back in 4 business hours or less.
- Last Will & Testament: Your provider attorney will collect information from you, draft a Last Will & Testament for you, and provide consultation about the document. Our provider attorneys are committed to preparing your Will in 5 business days or less.
- Power of Attorney: Your provider attorney can prepare a Power of Attorney and consult with you about the document.
- Living Will: Your provider attorney can create an Advanced Directive document, also known as a Living Will.
- Annual Updates: Get a provider attorney to update your Will every year as your life changes, at no additional charge.