Buying a Home? Get Legal Help
“Home.” When you hear that word, what do you think of? Family, friends, your favorite sofa? Most likely, the word conjures up comfortable images of the house you currently inhabit. Home is the building where you store some of your favorite memories and where you look forward to the future. Home is a place of safety, love and belonging. Most of all, home is your own – home is security.
Of course, the best way to ensure that your home is secure is by buying your own house. A home is probably the biggest purchase you will make in your lifetime. A lot of reward comes at the end of buying a home for the first time. However, a lot of things can also go wrong before you are holding those keys in your hand. Before you dive head-first into the hunt for your perfect first home, there are a few things you need to do to ensure that you’re ready to buy a home:
- Hire a trustworthy real estate agent who fits your needs.
- Compare and shop for different types of mortgages so you know what works for you. Get pre-approved to save time once you have begun the process of buying a home.
- Make a list of the important details you need to know, such as location and heating and air. Make another list of the features you would like in addition, such as a pool or a three-car garage.
- Hunt for your house! You can browse online to find the build and style of house you like, then start viewing houses that fit your home buying preferences.
- Make your offer. It might be necessary to negotiate prices with the seller when trying to buy a home, so don’t give up if the seller comes back with a higher request after your first offer. Keep thinking and bidding.
- Get your loan approved and wait for the lender to get your house appraised.
- An important step is for you to hire a home inspector before you buy a home. They are professionals who know what to look for in a house, and they can pinpoint potential problems that you might have missed.
- Sign the final paperwork, close on your home and get those keys!
As you can see, there is a lot to consider when buying a home. It can often be confusing, trying to ensure that you are thoroughly familiar with every step in the process of buying a home and with every sheet of paperwork. No wonder some people prefer to rent!
However, you don’t have to go through the act of buying a home all alone. No matter if it is your first time or your fourth house, this doesn’t have to be stressful. One of the safest actions you can take during this home buying process is to hire a lawyer.
Get legal help for buying a home.
“Lawyer.” What does that word make you think of? If you immediately imagine legal trouble, courtrooms, subpoenas, and lots of attorney fees, think again. A lawyer can help you with most, if not all, of the steps required to buy a home. Here are just a few ways an attorney is able to assist you as you prepare, hunt for and purchase your new house:
- Lawyers are available for consultation over the legal consequences of transactions – including buying a home.
- Lawyers can look over the purchase agreement, clarify any problem spots or help you alter the agreement if it contains sections you don’t like.
- Lawyers will help you review the status of your home title.
There is a catch though. Brokers, real estate agents and sellers will not provide an attorney for you. It is up to you to find a law firm that will work on your side. You can protect your rights by hiring the services of a lawyer as you go through the steps of buying a home. Though the help of an attorney is certainly worth the cost, the high hourly rates typically associated with lawyers might make you think twice about doling out that much money – especially on top of major purchases such as buying a home. What can you do instead?
Get an affordable answer.
LegalShield was founded on the values of home, family and security. LegalShield Provider Law Firms are dedicated to serving our members in many areas of law. When you become a LegalShield Member, a provider law firm will provide a knowledgeable attorney to help you through the legal ins and outs that go with buying a home.
Remember all those steps that a lawyer can help you navigate when buying a home? Well, a LegalShield attorney can assist with the process, but for a fraction of the cost you would end up paying a lawyer for their hourly rate. An attorney from a LegalShield Provider Law Firm contributes advice, consultation and document preparation. You can consult a LegalShield lawyer on personal legal matters as you begin the process of finding and applying for mortgages and loans. A LegalShield attorney can prepare official statements and conduct professional phone calls on your behalf. And as for all that paperwork that you have to sign when buying a home? A LegalShield lawyer can review your documents and make sure you know what you are agreeing to before you sign that dotted line.
Don’t go through the hassle of buying a home all by yourself. If you want to make your life easier, learn more about how LegalShield works.
LegalShield provides access to legal services offered by a network of provider law firms to LegalShield Members through membership-based participation. Neither LegalShield nor its officers, employees or sales associates directly or indirectly provide legal services, representation or advice. This is a general overview of the legal plan coverage available from LegalShield for illustration purposes only. See a plan contract for specific state or province of residence for complete terms, coverage, amounts and conditions.