Protect Yourself with 2018’s Top Legal Tips
Each year 57 million Americans experience some type of legal event. These events range from signing a contract to dealing with a speeding tickets. Understanding the nature of these issues will help you avoid problems and handle whatever comes your way. The following articles and tips were among our most popular and informative of the year. As a LegalShield member, you have a network of provider law firms in 50 states and 4 provinces in Canada to assist you and answer your legal questions. Do not hesitate to call your provider law firm if you have any questions. Your provider law firm information can be located on your LegalShield mobile app or through the “Ask Erin” feature on www.legalshield.com.
- One of the greatest benefits of your LegalShield policy is the will package. The process starts with completing the LegalShield will questionnaire, which is available via the LegalShield app (download for Apple or Android devices). You may also obtain a will questionnaire by calling LegalShield or your provider law firm. Your provider law firm information can be located on your LegalShield mobile app or through the “Ask Erin” feature on www.legalshield.com.
- Make sure you also have an up-to-date Medical Power of Attorney or Advanced Medical Directive (“Living Will”). In the event you cannot make medical decisions yourself, these documents entrust decisions about your care to a person you designate. Advise your family of your designation so that person is notified when decisions must be made.
- Whether your current smartphone voice and data plan is up for renewal or you want the latest phone, be prepared to negotiate a new contract. It’s worth taking some time to research plans and negotiate to be sure you’re getting the best deal possible. Here are some important points to consider before signing a new cell phone contract.
- From tornadoes in the Midwest to wildfires in California, it is important for everyone to be prepared for natural disasters and know how to respond in the aftermath. Learn more about planning, reviewing insurance docs, dealing with property damage, and more.
- Snap traffic tickets with your smartphone. Police issue more than 41 million speeding tickets a year. Without a LegalShield membership, hiring an attorney to fight your ticket could cost more than $150. If you receive a ticket, LegalShield has you covered. Snap is a benefit of the LegalShield app that lets you to take a picture of your traffic ticket with your smartphone and send it directly to your LegalShield provider law firm. You can download the LegalShield app with Snap from the iTunes or Android store today.
- The laws on medical and recreational marijuana use are changing quickly. Recreational use is now legal throughout Canada. More than half of all U.S. states have legalized medical marijuana use and 18% allow for recreational use. Learn more about how these changes may impact you.
- At home DNA testing is becoming more and more popular. From ethics to privacy concerns, there are some critical questions you should consider before taking part. Here’s what you need to know.